Thursday, October 7, 2010

Bed Rest.... Here We Go Again

This last week things finally took a turn for the worst.

Last Friday night I was up all night in excruciating pain. It was terrible and so we went to triage on Saturday morning. They gave me a shot of terbutaline which is a drug that stops contractions. The pain eased slightly so they sent me home but the pain returned within the hour. I tried to just stick it out all day but it got to the point that I just couldn't handle it. It felt like I was in full blown labor. I called my doctor again that evening and he said to come in.

They determined that I was EXTREMELY dehydrated due to the fact that the pain had been so bad over the last 24 hours that I couldn't even keep water down. They put me on an IV and when my doctor finally came in and saw me, he took one look at me and told the nurse that they needed to give me medicine for the pain and that they needed to figure out what was causing it. He sent me for an ultrasound of my kidneys and all that good stuff but they all looked fine. Then they did an ultrasound of my cervix and lo and behold my cervix was shortening. They admitted me to the hospital, started me on medication for contraction and continued to give me the medication for the pain.

The next day I was off the pain medication and the pain felt 100x better. They did a repeat ultrasound of my cervix on Monday to confirm the findings from the previous one and it showed the same thing. The doctor told me that he thought that all the pain I was having was a combination of being so dehydrated and also that it was preterm labor. Things have settled down now and I'm not contracting nearly as much anymore but I have been put onto the dreaded bed rest. The specialist said that since I have been through this before and know how to really do bed rest that she would let me go home.

Now that I am here and having to do this again, it feels way to fresh in the mind. I feel like I was just laying here not very long ago but this time around it is a lot harder because we have Ethan that needs to be taken care of. Obviously I can't take care of him and that is killing me. He is staying with my sister at her house which I am so grateful for. I know that he is being well looked after and he also has so much fun with his cousins. On the weekends Ethan will come home and spend the weekend here with me and Kevin.

Even though I know Ethan is okay, I can't even think about him without crying. I have never spent time away from him and then all of a sudden I am spending days on end away from him and I know it's going to be this way for the next few months. I just really miss him and can't wait until this is all over and we are all together again. I also can't wait until tomorrow when he comes home for the weekend. I think that is what will get me through the week each week, knowing that on the weekend I will see him and Kevin me an Ethan will have a few days together.

That's what us going on around here. Not the most fun but I guess that this too will pass. It's going to be hard but we'll get through it.

1 comments:

Cara said...

That's what's going to make each week go by faster... You'll have Ethan to look forward to every weekend.:)