Monday, April 19, 2010

What A Pest!

Ever heard of a carpet beetle?? I HAVE!! Here's what they look like. They are about half the size of a lady bug.




Back around Christmas time we noticed these little tiny bugs in our bedroom. I HATE bugs! They gross me out. We first noticed them in our room and didn't think too much of it. We killed them and that was that. A few days later I found a bunch in Ethan's closet and at that point we realized we had a problem. Later I started finding them in my pantry! GROSS!!!!!

We went to a pest place to determine what they were and how we could get rid of them. We brought some of the bugs in with us and they told us that they were harmless carpet beetles. They told us they weren't going to hurt us but that they were just more annoying than anything, although they do eat some types of fabric. Apparently everyone has a few in their house but sometimes they can become a problem when they start laying eggs, then the eggs hatch....a viscous cycle. They sold this stuff to us and we were told to spray the perimeter of every room in the house once a month and here's the good part.....FOR 14 MONTHS! We thought "Okay, no big deal. We'll just spray this stuff every month and that will be that."

So we go home and start getting the house ready to spray this stuff and begin to realize just how big of a job this actually is going to be. We were having to clear out every closet in the house, move all the furniture out from the walls and cover every surface of the kitchen as well as take all of our food out of the pantry. Maybe if this was a one time deal we could have dealt with it, but the thought of having to do that every month for over a year wasn't to terribly appealing. Plus when we sprayed the house we needed to vacate it for 24hrs.

We decided to call Orkin to come out and deal with this for us. They told us that they would only need to spray the house two times. We scheduled a time for them to come and spray a few days later and payed them a fat $500. We still had to do all the same things to the house that we would have had to of done if we had sprayed ourselves but at least it was only twice. It took us hours to get the house ready but we got it done. They came and sprayed and we had to leave the house for 6 hrs, better than 24! A week later they came back and sprayed again. Finally these bugs were gone! YES!!

So this was back in January and Orkin gave us a 30 day guarantee. Well you'll never guess what...... our little pests are back!!!! I started finding them in my kitchen again and I was livid! I called Orkin and told them that I didn't care about their 30 day guarantee and that they were going to come back and spray until these things were gone! They hesitantly agreed to come back and spray once for free. So now we get to do this all over again. Can you tell I'm a little annoyed?

1 comments:

Cara said...

Want to trade for some voles? ;) Icky.