Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Asleep on the Job

Sarah and I are parents. It's crazy to think that we are actually parents.
We're still trying to get into some semblance of a routine with Ethan at this point, with varying levels of success.
The night times are always an adventure. As a wise philosopher once said, "Life is like a box of chocolates . . . You never know what you're gonna get." So it is with Ethan. Some nights he will sleep soundly for 3 hour blocks and others he will fidgit and fuss and cry every hour or so. I think his favorite song is "I Need Thee Every Hour".
Now, bear in mind that everything I just said about the night time is all second-hand information, because I am embarassed to report that I sleep through the night without fail, regardless of how many times Ethan wakes up.
It's not that I try to be a dead-beat dad, it just seems to come naturally. I try to make up for this in other ways like changing as many diapers as he can dirty while I am home at night and even occassionally watching him so Sarah can take a nap or get a more solid block of sleep, but once night time comes, I'm out for the count.
Sarah is an amazing mom and together we're a pretty good team, but I can't help but wonder what Ethan thinks of the motionless lump in the bed while his mom is feeding him every hour.
-Kevin

4 comments:

Cara said...

Don't worry, Kevin. It's a talent that all dads possess. When we were training Gavin to sleep through the night, I'd have to go all the way downstairs and sleep on the couch because I couldn't sleep through Gavin's cries, even with ear plugs! Nathan on the other hand, never heard him once despite that fact that our bedroom shared a wall with Gavin's. Most of the time he would be wondering why I was sleeping on the couch when he came to find me in the morning. :) Give Ethan a bottle for one feeding to give Sarah a good solid block of sleep if she'll let you. Formula will keep his tummy fuller longer than breast milk so he might actually sleep a little longer too. At least that's what Nathan and I always did.

Keilah Palmer said...

Carson's favorite song is I need thee every 2 1/2 hours, or so my wife tells me, I'm sleeping through the night...we can just tell our wives that we are teaching our boys by example.

jgirl said...

No worries Kevin, it was the opposite at my house...I sleep like the dead and my now ex husband heard the kids when they woke up...totally try the formula for some reason (especially with boys) this works to keep little tummies full longer. Parenting is a learned trait and not a natural talent, no matter what anyone else tells you! You'll be fab as long as you know how to love and are willing to learn!=0)

Meesheeb said...

We have the other problem in our house. I sleep very soundly and don't hear baby crying until it's really loud. Alan on the other hand could hear a pin drop. No worries...during the months when baby is breastfeeding only, Dad doesn't need to get up with baby anyway. Later, when he is no longer breastfeeding...you won't be so lucky. :)